Monday, January 24, 2005

Sunlight After Clouds.

Julie forced her way in tonight and sat me down for a "serious talk." "I and Solz have been worried about you," she said. "What's eating you? You haven't been acting like yourself for the past few weeks."
"It must have been the weather," I said, avoiding her gaze. "I told you, I haven't been feeling well lately."
"You look fantastic," she said accusingly. "You don't look sick at all. You've been blowing off classes." Suddenly her eyes widened. "You've got a boyfriend, haven't you? You've met some hot guy! And you haven't told me, you rat!"
I thought of Julian and for some reason I burst out laughing and couldn't stop laughing. "No, that's not it," I told her. All that laughing has suddenly made me feel way better. I haven't laughed like that since the night I met Julian! "I can most definitely tell you I have not met one decent guy for the past few weeks." Which is so true. Julian was such a prize jerk.
She didn't look satisfied. "Then what's up with you?" she asked. "And don't lie to me, Agatha. I know something's been eating you."
I wished she would stop using the word "eating". "Nothing!" I insist. "You know me. I just get the blues every now and then. I just got them worse than usual. But I'm fine now." I spread out my arms. "Fi-ine. Look at me. Don't I look all right to you?"
She studied me for a moment. "All right," she said grudgingly. "You do look okay. Better than okay, in fact." She frowned at me. "Just don't pull any weird tricks after this."
"I won't," I promised.
"So are you coming to college tomorrow or what?"
"Yep, you can count on that." I've missed enough classes as it is.
"Good. Now I just have one last thing to ask you."
"What's that?"
"Just what make up did you get your hands on? Don't lie to me on this one - there is no way you can look that great without make up."
Fuck, what do I say? Oh, it's just this new make up line I discovered the other day, Jules, it's called Face of Vampira. "Are you saying I'm not naturally gorgeous?" I demanded, offended.
It took me a while to get out of that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home