Thursday, February 03, 2005

Fragrant Paranoia.

The thing about having acute senses is that you are so much more aware of things. Sometimes I wonder whether it's my new heightened awareness or if I'm just being paranoid.
Example: I get the feeling of being stared at by this chick from my Euro History class. Kristy Helleughes. Several times I feel...I just feel her eyes on my back. I pick it up all the time, from the corner of my eye, whenever I turn around. And to show that it's not all paranoia, I have caught her staring at me a couple of times. She's got this thick long brown hair like a horse's mane and these cold yellow eyes like some cat or something. Funny, but she reminds me more of a dog then a cat though. Don't ask me why I think that. It's something to do with my new sense of smell. I can smell people now - not just the ones with really bad body odour or those who've O.D.'ed on perfume. I can tell things about people just by how they smell. The guy in front of me in English Lit smells of stale potato chips and computers, I know Mrs. Tanner has been sleeping with Professor Jorges because they smell of one another, especially early in the morning. Hannah Kczrackman mixes her old CK1 and her Lolita Lempicka perfumes together. There's a scent about Kristy Helleughes which seems...feral, animal-like. Like the lady who walks all the dogs every Monday evening in the park. It's subtle, but it's there, all right.
She's always been a strange person anyway, Kristy. For all I know, I'm not the only person she stares at. She doesn't really mix with anyone, she's usually by herself. Bryce Johnson used to hound her for dates all the time, then he suddenly stopped and now he practically goes out of his way to avoid her. There used to be a lot of rumors about what had happened - that she was a lesbian and he caught her kissing his cousin, that she threw corosive acid over his car and told him to get lost. My favourite one was that she went totally nuts and threatened him with a shotgun when he came over to her house one day.
I'm probably just being paranoid. But today she was just staring at me so weirdly, for so long. She didn't count on my vampire eyes though. I gave her back as good as I could and she looked away quickly. But as I was leaving Euro History, I could feel her eyes on my back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home