Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Myths and royalties and godfathers.

Last weekend, I headed down to Vargrave's with Julie, Paul, Michael and a couple of other friends. During Solz's second set, I managed to corner Paul and told him about what I had found out about Kristy Helleughes.
"A werewolf, huh?" he mused. "No wonder she's always in such a bitchy mood."
I frowned at him. "She's had a really hard time of it, what with the deaths of her friends and being responsible for her family's deaths."
"Yeah, I guess I'd be a bitch too if that had happened to me." Paul took a sip of his beer. "So, you fought with a werewolf. Are you okay? No serious injuries?"
I nodded dismissively. "I'm fine. But have you ever met any werewolves before? I never knew they existed."
"Oh, yeah, I've heard of them," Paul said. "Vampires and werewolves don't mix much, you know. I've met a few. They tend to stick to their own cliques, otherwise they're loners, like Kristy. I hear they've got their own royalty. Like, werewolf lords or something. Kind of like the Godfather of the mafia."
"A werewolf godfather? Are you kidding me?" I suddenly had visions of Marlon Brando at an Italian restaurant with a huge juicy raw steak in front of him and a long bushy tail sprouting from the back of his seat, looking kind of like the wolf from Little Red Riding Hood. Then a thought occured to me. "Do we have any vampire godfathers?" I asked curiously.
Paul shook his head. "Not that I know of." He frowned. "There have been rumors, though. Of a vampire king and a vampire queen. Supposedly they're the oldest living vampires in the world."
"Sort of like an Anne Rice Queen of the Damned type?" I gave him a doubtful look. It sounded too freaky and bad-fiction-like to be true.
He shrugged. "Those are what the rumors say. But I don't think most vampires believe that. It's just a rumor."
I sighed. The real vampire world was cloaked in myths and rumors, just like its fiction counterparts. What bullshit this was. Couldn't someone just bring everyone together and create, like, a proper vampire government with registered vampires and stuff like that or something? It would make things easier for a new vampire like me to find out about stuff.
Paul patted my hand. "There's never been any sign of them before, anyway, so I think it hardly matters whether they do exist or not."
I nodded, swirling the ice in my whiskey-and-coke. "So, anyway," I said. "Back to Kristy. She says she's never met any werewolves in her life - I mean, besides the ones that changed her. Do you know if there's any of them around town?"
Paul frowned. "I saw a couple of them before, months ago. On the streets. But that's all." He shrugged. "Like I said, they prefer to keep to themselves. They're an odd lot, they are."
"Yeah," I said. "I guess they are. Like vampires, really." I grinned at Paul.
He laughed, then we fell silent as one of the bar guys comes by and clears our table of empty glasses.
When he left, I turned to Paul. "So werewolves exist. Who else does? Witches? Elves?"
"I've heard of witches before, but I've never met one," Paul said. "Apparently you don't want to get on the bad side of a witch. I've never heard of elves existing." He laughed. "Maybe you'd want to run over to Ireland and check it out."
I sipped my drink. Paul was making a silly drunk joke but the idea actually had a sort of appeal to me. Traveling the world, discovering new creatures that I never knew truly existed before, meeting them, talking to them, finding out about them. It was like being an explorer from the old British Empire days or something.
"It's so freaky," I mused, "becoming a vampire and then discovering this whole new world - that vampires exist, and then now discovering werewolves exist too, and even witches, and who knows what else..." I glanced at Paul. "Aren't you curious to know more?"
He shrugged. "I've been around quite a bit in my time. Guess you could say I've become a bit jaded. Me, I prefer to keep to myself. Don't go looking for trouble and trouble won't find you."
I snorted. "I've tried that, and believe me, Paul, trouble always finds me, whether I go looking for it or not." I shrugged, took a gulp of my drink.
Paul looked at me over the top of his beer. "Well, I guess it makes life more interesting for you."
I laughed. "Oh, yeah, it does." I finished my drink and set down the glass, stood up. "Come on, let's go join the others before my boyfriend starts getting weird ideas about you and me again."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home