Sunday, May 08, 2005

Looking out for your Friends - It's A Tough Job!

A whole bunch of us - including Solz, Julie and Paul - tried out this new bar down on Queensdale Avenue the other night. It was a pretty nice place and the drinks were great. The music was pretty decent too - they had a mix of jazz and blues. Paul and I are on much better terms now - and it shows. Julie pulled me aside to the ladies about an hour after we got to the bar and said to me "I'm so glad that you and Paul are getting on so well. I was a little afraid you didn't like him."
"What do you mean?" I demanded, trying to look as innocent as possible.
"Oh, I don't know," she sighed, leaning forward to get a better look at herself in the mirror as she applied the Cherry Red lip gloss she stole from me a year back, "I just kind of got the feeling you didn't like him when I first introduced you guys to one another. And you always seemed a little standoffish with him."
"I've only seen him a couple of times," I protested, "And besides, I'm standoffish with everyone."
"Yeah, that's true," Julie agreed, a little too fast for my liking. "But you do like him, don't you, Agatha? This is important to me. I want you guys to get along."
"You really like him?" I asked.
She nodded. "Yeah, I do. I don't know, Agatha, there's just something about him. It's different from all the other guys I know, from Bob and John and Don."
"I never liked Bob," I told her, "And John was such a boring guy."
"What about Paul?" she asked. "What do you think about him?"
"Um...well, he seems like a nice guy," I said slowly, "at least so far. I don't know him any better than you do, Agatha. But he seems okay... so far."
She beamed. "That's good enough for me right now."
"Just be careful, okay?" I said. "I mean, you only met him at your bookstore. It's not as if we've got any mutual friends to tell us about his background or anything."
She laughed. "You sound like my mum."
I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, well, this is good sound advice I'm giving you so pay attention, kid."
She just laughed even more. "But you do like him, don't you, Agatha?"
"So far," I admitted.
She beamed. "That's good enough for me then."
I just hope none of us are making a mistake about Paul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home