Saturday, May 07, 2005

Vampire/Human Love Matches

I summoned up all my courage and confronted Paul on Thursday, at the coffeehouse he worked at. I told him that as Julie's best friend and all, I felt it my duty to interrogate him on his background and exactly what he was planning to do with Julie. He said his background was way too long a story to tell on his ten minute break and asked me to meet him after his shift was over and added, "But the one thing that I can tell you now is that I really, really like Julie and would never hurt her."
Hmmm.
Well, that one sentence bought him time until his shift was over. Then it was interrogation time. I mean, I'm not exactly going to let my best friend go out with a vampire unless I know what he's all about!
To his credit, he answered all my questions readily enough. Apparently he was originally from somewhere in Seattle and his family was kind of poor and all until he picked up this rich chick and she bit him and turned him into a vamp. And he's a hundred and seventeen years old.
"A hundred and seventeen?" I shrieked at that point. "Julie is dating an old man?"
He got pretty huffy at that point. "Does this look like an old face to you, sister?" he demanded, putting said face a little too close to me.
Okay, so he's a pretty good-looking 117 year old and I'd never have guessed if he hadn't told me, but still. Jeez. I've never hung out with old people. Aunt Marshall is like, 50, and there's only so much I can take of her.
Anyway, on with the interrogation. This rich chick dumped him after a while (yet another case of a vamp biting and leaving! jeez!) and they went their separate ways but last he heard she got killed about seventy years ago or so in Europe. He confirms that we can only be killed by wood, he's not too sure why either.
"I guess you're pretty new at this, huh?" he adds.
"What makes you think that?" I demanded.
I guess, if anything, i gave it away when I called him an old man.
So anyway, he offered to teach me the ropes, help me get a hang of things as life as a vamp. He knows more about it than Peter did anyway. "Yes, we are immortal." "Yes, wood will kill us." "No, we won't get wrinkles as we get older. Does this face look like it has wrinkles to you, sister?" "No, we won't burn if we get sprinkled with holy water."
Then we went hunting together! Okay, we went after Paul's night shift at the Darla Bar. We got this couple who were leaving the bar - Paul staked them out. He took the guy and I took the girl - anyway, there is no way I would let him drink the girl, not while he's going out with Julie. It was kind of fun, actually. I've never drank with anyone else before. Even when Peter was there, we never drank together, we always met up after that. Paul showed me other places where you could find good veins, not just the ones that I know on vampire biological instinct. It was quite a useful lesson.
And after we drank, I demanded to know the most important thing of all: what was it thqat he truly felt about Julie???
He said he had never felt this way about other girls before. He also added that since he became a vampire and ever since that vampire girl who mde him left him, he has never had a serious relationship with anyone, least of all a human, because he figured it would never work. But with Julie, somehow that has changed. And he really wanted to make a go at it.
"If you're serious about this, you're going to have to eventually tell her the truth," I warned him.
"I know," he said, and his face under the street lamp looked really unhappy. "I know some day I probably will have to. But I don't know how she's going to take it. I mean, how do you accept the fact that you're dating a vampire? Jeez, and you're her best friend but you haven't even told her that you're a vampire yet."
He's got a point about that.
God, I think he really is telling the truth about his feelings for Julie. I'm really happy that he's not intending to hurt her or anything, but I have a feeling that it's going to be a way bumpy ride for them. I mean, relationships and all are already plenty difficult when you're human. Being in a human/vampire relationship? Jeez. Talk about a tough match. I really, really, really hope Julie's not going to get hurt along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home